Second Passport (Duplicate-Limited)
Requirements for applying for a Second Passport (Duplicate – Limited):
- You currently possess a valid U.S. passport
- You need a second U.S. passport due to high international travel, which often requires your passport to be in an embassy for visas, while you may need to travel on your current valid passport.
- Existing visas in passport (Israel or Iraq) cannot be in passport for travel to those countries.
Step 1 – Gather required documents.
1. State Department Application. The U.S. Passport Agency now requires all applications for a U.S. Passport be typed for submission. This provides the ability for a 2D-barcode to be printed on the form, which allows the State Department to scan your information into their database, thus making processing your application faster. Once you have entered your information onto the application through the State Department’s website, click “Create Form”, which will prepare your application for printing. Please click here to access the DS-82 online application. Print two (2) copies of this application.
2. Your Current Passport. You will need to submit your valid U.S. passport to obtain a second U.S. passport. Your current U.S. passport will be returned to you along with your second passport.
3. Letter of Explanation. This letter should be addressed to the Department of State which specifies why you are requesting a second U.S. passport. This letter must include detailed information about why you are requesting a second passport. See the sample as an example. Please make sure you sign this letter and include your current U.S. passport number in the body of the letter.
4. Two (2) Passport Photos. Two (2) identical passport-size (2″x2″) photos. Requirements for photos:*Pale or white background. *Full face, front view, no glasses. *The photos must be identical and taken in the last 6 months. *Do not wear a hat unless for religious reasons (if so, please include an explanation). *Wear normal day-to-day attire. Do not wear uniforms. *If you normally wear a wig or hearing aid, wear them for the photo.
*Photo studios and pharmacies are well prepared to do passport photos for you. It’s much more effective to get good passport photos from a pharmacy, photo studio or post office rather than try to do it yourself.
5. Proof of Departure for all impending travel. Print out copies of your travel itineraries listing all of your international travel. You will need proof that you are traveling internationally for consecutive dates that will not allow for normal visa processing procedures. A copy of both your airline tickets are also acceptable.
Step 2 – Order Form, Authorization Form, Shipping and Service.
1. Washington Express Visas Passport Order Form. Please click here to fill out a Washington Express Visas Passport Request Form.
2. Washington Express Visas Passport Authorization Form. Please click here and fill out 2 copies. This form gives Washington Express Visas’ submission affiliate, Duke’s Visa Services, permission to submit your documents to the Washington, DC Passport Agency on your behalf. It must be signed in your original signature, in blue ink. Xerox copies or faxed signatures are not acceptable.
3. Shipment. Please send the documents listed above, the Washington Express Visas Authorization Form, and the Washington Express Visas Passport Order Form to our office at the address below via Fed/Ex or UPS so you can track your documents:
4. Washington Express Visas Fee. Washington Express Visas’ service fee is $235.
5. State Department Fee. State Department service fee is $170.Our passport processing specialists are experts in the field, and are able to accomplish the entire process in days, instead of the weeks or months it would normally take.