Passport Name Change – Less than 1 year ago
Requirements for applying for a NAME CHANGE for a U.S. Passport:
- You currently possess a valid U.S. passport that was issued less than 1 year ago.
- To correct an error or typo (to your name or date of birth).
- Your name has been changed due to marriage or court order.
Step 1 – Gather required documents.
1. Proof of Citizenship. To prove your citizenship, you must have an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, naturalization papers or old passport. If you are unable to obtain your birth certificate, you may obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from the state that you were born, or you can go to vitalchek.com to obtain information about ordering a certified copy of your birth certificate.
2. State Department Application. The U.S. Passport Agency now requires all applications for a U.S. Passport be typed for submission. This provides the ability for a 2D-barcode to be printed on the form, which allows the State Department to scan your information into their database, thus making processing your application faster.
Once you have entered your information onto the application through the State Department’s website, click “Create Form”, which will prepare your application for printing. Print two (2) copies of this application. Make sure you sign your application. For a name change for a valid U.S. passport that was Issued Less Than 1 Year Ago please click here for the State Department’s DS-5504 Application.
3. Your Valid Passport. Your valid passport will need to be sent to us for submission. Your passport should not be expired.
4. Name Change Document. Your original court-ordered name change document or the original Marriage certificate (with official seal) that legally changed your name. All original documents will be returned to you with your new passport.
5. Two (2) Passport Photos. Two (2) identical passport-size (2″x2″) photos. Requirements for photos:*Pale or white background. *Full face, front view, no glasses. *The photos must be identical and taken in the last 6 months. *Do not wear a hat unless for religious reasons (if so, please include an explanation). *Wear normal day-to-day attire. Do not wear uniforms. *If you normally wear a wig or hearing aid, wear them for the photo.
*Photo studios and pharmacies are well prepared to do passport photos for you. It’s much more effective to get good passport photos from a pharmacy, photo studio or post office rather than try to do it yourself.
6. Proof of Departure. Print out a copy of your travel itinerary showing when you will be departing the U.S. for international travel. A copy of your airline ticket is also acceptable.
Step 2 – Order Form, Authorization Form, Shipping and Service.
1. Washington Express Visas Passport Order Form. Please click here to fill out a Washington Express Visas Passport Request Form.
2. Washington Express Visas Authorization Form. Please click here and fill out 2 copies. This form gives Washington Express Visas’ submission affiliate, Duke’s Visa Services, permission to submit your documents to the Washington, DC Passport Agency on your behalf. It must be signed in your original signature, in blue ink. Xerox copies or faxed signatures are not acceptable.
3. Shipment. Please send the documents listed above, the Washington Express Visas Authorization Form, and the Washington Express Visas Passport Order Form to our office at the address below via Fed/Ex or UPS so you can track your documents:
4. Washington Express Visas Fee. Washington Express Visas’ service fee is $235.
5. State Department Fee. State Department service fee is $170.Our passport processing specialists are experts in the field, and are able to accomplish the entire process in days, instead of the weeks or months it would normally take.